Sunday, January 30, 2022

Small update

I've been doing a fair bit of unglamorous bug squashing and general tinkering. Much of this is behind-the-scenes stuff that just makes the code work a bit better and hopefully crash less often, but there are also some visible effects, mostly at regional level:

  • Some river-related bugs have been removed. Plenty remain, naturally.
  • I made some additional tweaks to the climate simulation, to reduce the amount of desert slightly.
  • A long time ago I implemented canyons, which work by creating wide areas of the map where the land is raised up higher than usual around the river valleys. Somehow the effect of these was much reduced when I ported the project over to its current form. I've now made it much stronger and more noticeable.
  • In addition, some of the smoothing routines applied to the regional terrain tended to widen canyons in an unpredictable way which made them look weird. I've stopped that, so now river valleys really look like river valleys.
  • I worked out why - as noted in the previous post - some coastlines had acquired extravagant islands (it was to do with changes to how the sea bed is generated), and toned it down so it only happens sometimes.
  • I also removed a tendency to create lakes right by coastlines, noticeable in (among others) the last image here.
Here are some pictures, in which you can see the river valleys more clearly in some areas, as well as varied coastlines. I think the texture of the land is looking pretty nice now:





And as a bonus, here's an epic river system:


2 comments:

  1. Is this tool publically available anywhere? I'd love to play around with it.

    ReplyDelete